The BC3-Basque Centre for Climate Change offers a 3 year postdoctoral fellowship. The successful applicant will assist in the development of system-based livestock farm modeling approaches in order to analyze strategies that help dairy farmers to both adapt to temperature rise and increased climate variability and reduce the overall GHG emissions (climate change mitigation).
The candidate will contribute to workpackage 4 of the European project OPTIBARN.The focus will be on the evaluation of expected environmental and economic impacts and on risk management for climate optimal design of dairy farms.
The postdoctoral researcher will be based at BC3 in Bilbao. It is expected that the successful candidate will join BC3 as soon as possible.
Specifically the Postdoctoral Fellow will:
- Carry out a literature review of costs and prices at different levels of the dairy farm system and for the different selected regions.
- Carry out a literature review of the effect of climate change on animal welfare in dairy systems.
- Help incorporating the economic and welfare data into the SIMSDAIRY model.
- Develop a modelling framework to couple different models to simulate the effect of climate change (with and without adaptation) on farm economics (market- and non-market valuation).
- Carry out a risk analysis for optimal housing design.
- Publish high-impact, peer-reviewed research in international scientific journals.
- Assist in ongoing activities of the Agriculture and Climate Change team.
- The applicant must have a PhD in Environmental or Natural Sciences, Agricultural Engineering, Engineering Physics or Environmental Economics.
- The applicant should demonstrate expertise in ecological/environmental/agricultural/livestock farm modelling.
- The applicants should demonstrate evidence of a track record of peer-reviewed publications on topics related to the OPTIBARN project as well as the ability to initiate and complete original, creative and innovative research.
- The applicant must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and oral) in English.
Other experience/skills valued: agricultural economics, nutrient cycling, climate modeling, environmental valuation, statistics and mathematics.
Location: Basque Centre for Climate Change (BC3), Bilbao, Spain.
Tenure: The contract will be for a period of three years.
Salary: The position will carry competitive salaries according to the academic and professional profile of the applicant and excellent conditions of work.
Those interested should send their application (2-page CV, one page motivation letter and provide the full contact details of two referees) to [email protected] with subject “postdoc: Adapting dairy farms to climate change”). Informal enquiries can be made to Dr. Agustin del Prado ([email protected]).