This second call is open for submission of proposals until 28 July 2023.
On 10 May 2023, Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine with special responsibility for research and innovation Martin Heydon, joined the New Zealand Minister for Agriculture, Damien O’Connor M.P. to launch the second Ireland – New Zealand Joint Research Call on agriculture and climate change. The two Ministers made the announcement following a bilateral meeting held during the Agricultural Innovation Mission for Climate Summit in Washington DC.
The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine and the New Zealand Ministry for Primary Industries launched the first joint call in 2022, following the signing of a Memorandum of Arrangement between both organisations in May 2022. This provided for the establishment a 3-year pilot Joint Research Initiative (JRI) over the period 2022 to 2024 in recognition of the strong existing research connections and the common challenges facing the agri-food sectors in both Ireland and New Zealand. Over €7 million in joint funding was awarded to four research projects in the 2022 Call.
Full press release HERE
2023 Ireland – New Zealand Joint Research Call
The 2023 Joint Research Call between Ireland and New Zealand opened on 10 May 2023 at 12:00 (IST) and invites eligible Research Performing Organisations (RPOs) from Ireland to submit joint research proposals, with collaborating partners from New Zealand.
There are four research topics in the Call:
- Topic 1: Land management on organic agricultural soils to support the development of GHG mitigation and Carbon sequestration
- Topic 2: Refinement of agricultural GHG emissions inventories through the development of emission factors for Methane, Nitrous Oxide and Carbon Dioxide
- Topic 3: Identification and development of technologies for the mitigation of greenhouse gases from ruminant systems
- Topic 4: Digitalisation and data to support climate-related action and management practices in agriculture
More details can be found here: Ireland – New Zealand Joint Research Mechanism
Two webinars for applicants will be held jointly by DAFM and the New Zealand Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) for interested Irish and New Zealand researchers to provide an overview about all relevant aspects of the Call and provide time to answer open questions. These will be held on:
- 18th May 2023 at 10:00 NZT (webinar hosted by MPI for New Zealand applicants)
- 25th May 2023 at 10:00 IST (webinar hosted by DAFM for Irish applicants – register here)
The Irish financial support for the 2023 Ireland-New Zealand Joint Research Call is being provided through the DAFM Research Programme
The Joint Research Call follows a one-stage submission procedure with a deadline for the submission of full proposals on 28th July 2023 . Indicative Research Call timelines are outlined below.
|10 May 2023 at 12:00 IST||Launch of the Joint Research Call|
|18th May 2023 at 10:00 NZT||Webinar for potential applicants|
|25th May 2023 at 10:00 IST||Webinar for potential applicants|
|28th July 2023||Submission Deadline for proposals|
|October 2023||Communication of Funding Decision|
|November 2023||Funding awarded and announcement of successful projects|
|Jan 2024 to Mar 2024||Estimated Starting Date for Funded Projects|