Aims to improve the evidence base and to better connect governments and relevant expertise to subsequently improve the quality of agricultural NDC’s and the way their achievements are reflected by national GHG inventories.
In the context or agricultural greenhouse gas emissions, inventories remain the main tool connecting policy with mitigation.
However, many countries face major challenges with either a lack of relevant data or non-existent data. Only 5 out of 141 countries conduct a tier 2 inventory for their agriculture sector.
Further, increases in productivity and efficiency are not captured in developing nations and most national inventories do not yet have direct mitigation technologies included.
An objective of the Network is to facilitate links across organizations, research institutes and government so that the expertise is accessible.
It will also share information, knowledge, and data on inventory methods to identify priorities for collaboration that improve comparability, coherence, quality, and verifiability of emissions trends and potential mitigation actions.
The Network will focus on:
- Increasing access to methods to improve the collection of activity data as well as inform the collection of greenhouse gas emissions and uptake data where it has not previously been available;
- providing technical support and skills training, for capacity building and knowledge transfer;
- building upon existing shared databases and developing new platforms where necessary; and
- creating in-country capability and avoiding international consultancy so as to build country capabilities.
GHG Inventory and NDC support activities in specific areas related to the other research groups have been carried out by those research groups. For further information on these activities can be found under the relevant Research Group pages.
The Livestock Research Group (LRG):
- Read about the LRG’s work to support Tier 2 livestock inventory improvements in developing countries.
- Read the report – Case studies of how different countries have applied Tier 2 approaches in the livestock sector.
- Read about the LRG’s work to help countries measure, report and verify (MRV) livestock greenhouse gas emissions.
Paddy Rice Research Group (PRRG):
- Read the Handbook of Monitoring, Reporting, and Verification (MRV) for a Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Project with Water Management in Irrigated Rice Paddies.
The Inventories and NDC Network comprises of 120 members across 60 countries and 7 partners. Updates on the Network are communicated in the Inventories and NDC Support Newsletter.